Hi there, future online shopper! You may have heard of the benefits of online shopping from people at work, your family members, or from listening to the news. However, if you haven't shopped online before, it can be pretty intimidating to get started. There's so many things to think about and often shopping pages on the internet are not that user-friendly at all. We'll walk you through online shopping one step at a time so let's get started!
With online shopping, there are many places you can purchase products. They range from individual shops, to big well-known companies such as Amazon, Walmart, and eBay, which each have their own process to shopping online. Once you get the hang of one type of shop, it'll get easier from there since you'll be more familiar with the concepts. Since Amazon is an easy place to get many different types of products and since they have spectacular customer service, it's the perfect place to practice shopping online.
Shopping online with Amazon can be pretty intimidating at first, but we'll walk you through it! The very first thing you want to do is to think of the product you need. Perhaps we want to buy paper plates for a BBQ you are about to have. Let's look for some paper plates to buy on Amazon.
1. The very first thing is to open your internet browser - this can be Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer. Any of these options will do! In your address bar, type in amazon.com, then press the Enter key to navigate to the Amazon website.
2. When the Amazon website loads, you will see a search area within the site. In the search area, type in the product you are looking for. In our example, we will type in "paper plates". Then press the Enter key or press the yellow magnifying glass button.
As you can see, there are so many products to choose from. It can be pretty overwhelming to choose from all the different options out there. We've put together a very detailed article to make sure you get exactly the product you are looking for!How do I make sure what I'm buying online is good?
Feel free to read it in detail to make sure you have the most successful online shopping experience. You'll be a pro in no time, and soon your friends will be asking you for help!
Once you have selected the product that you want to purchase, click the product image to go to the product page on Amazon. Make sure you are scrolled all the way up to the top of the product page.
On the right hand side, you will see a section with a yellow and orange button labeled 'Add to Cart' and 'Buy Now'. You want to select the 'Add to Cart' button, which is the first button, so that you can review your order before you purchase it.
You will be taken to a new page, that shows that the product has been added to your cart. If you are finished adding all the products you want to purchase, you can select the 'Proceed to checkout' button. If you want to continue adding products, you can repeat this process and search for a new product to add, then come back and press the 'Proceed to checkout' button.
Clicking the 'Proceed to checkout' button, will now take you to a Sign-In page. If you have an account, you can sign in now. If not, let's create your Amazon account!
To create your account, press the 'Create your Amazon account' button in grey. It is located near the bottom of the website.
This will take you to a form:
1. Please input your name - use your full name!
2. Next, input your email address. This will be used to log in to your Amazon account in the future, so make sure there aren't any typos.
3. Next, input a password that is at least 6 characters long.
4. Finally, input the same password again, to ensure that you input the password without any typos.
5. Now that your form is complete, press the yellow 'Create your Amazon account' button.
On the next screen, there will be another form asking for an One Time Password, or OTP. This is not your personal password that you entered in the previous screen, but an One Time Password that Amazon sends you in order to verify that the email address you entered is a valid address. To obtain this OTP, log into your personal email account. You should see an email from Amazon.com, with the email titled 'Verify your new Amazon account'. Open this email and you will see a password in bold (usually six digits). Type those numbers/letters into the Amazon form in your internet browser. Once you have typed the OTP into the form, press the 'Create your Amazon account' button in yellow.
Yay! You've finally created your Amazon account. Now we want to add a shipping address to send your package to.
1. Enter the full name you want listed in the package that will be sent to you! Make sure this is your full name and not a nickname. Sometimes your mailman will not deliver a package with a name that is not a name that they recognize.
2. Next, enter your address on line 1. This can be your house address, apartment address, or work address. But, enter only the street address on 'Address line 1'.
3. On 'Address line 2', write down the apartment or suite number if applicable.
4. Next, write down the City.
5. Next, write down the State/Province/Region.
6. Next, enter your five digit zip code.
7. From the drop down, select your Country/Region.
8. On the next line, put in your phone number as well.
9. Next, there is a section where you can add in delivery instructions. If you frequently have guests who have trouble finding your home or work, add additional tips for your delivery driver to help him or her find the delivery destination.
10. Next, add in a security code or a call box number if the delivery driver needs a code to access your destination.
11. Next, there is a section called Weekend Delivery where you can specify if you are available to receive packages on the weekend. If you can receive packages on the weekend, press the blue link that says 'I can receive packages on Saturday and Sunday'.
12. Finally, there is a last section that asks if the address you have added is the same billing address for your credit card or bank statement. Another way to think about this is if you receive your credit card or bank statement bill in the mail at the same address you just added, you want to select 'Yes'. If not, select 'No'.
13. Finally, press the yellow 'Continue' button.
You may get a screen that asks you to Verify your shipping address. You will see the address that you entered, and also a Suggested address. Review the suggested address, and make sure that it looks correct. It is usually very similar to your original address. If the suggested address looks good, you can press the yellow 'Deliver to this address' button to continue with the suggested address. Otherwise, select the circle next to Original Address, and then press the yellow button that says 'Deliver to this address'.
Now we want to choose a shipping option. There are a list of options of dates that you would receive your package by. Underneath each date, there is a either a price or a little label that says 'Free Shipping'. There is also another option that says 'Free two-day shipping with a free trial of amazon prime'. Amazon Prime is a yearly subscription where you get free shipping along with other benefits. For now, you can skip this option and choose the Free Shipping option by selecting the circle next to the date that says Free Shipping. Then you can press the yellow 'Continue' option.
Next we want to input a credit or debit card.
1. On the section where it says 'Name on card', enter your name the way it is listed on your credit card or debit card.
2. Next, where it says 'Card Number', enter your card number without any spaces in between. It will automatically add spaces for you, so you just need to add the card number.
3. Next, find the expiration month and expiration year on your credit card or debit card. Select the month number from the dropdown menu and the year number from the second dropdown menu next to it.
4. Before you press the yellow 'Add your card' button, there is a small rectangular box underneath where you put your name that says 'Set as default payment method'. If you want, select the rectangular box next to it in order to store this card as a default for future purchases. This can be convenient since you won't have to enter it again next time.
5. Finally, press the 'Add your card' yellow button.
You should now see your credit card listed and selected (you can tell it is selected because of the blue circle on the left and the light orange background). At this point, you can select the yellow 'Continue' button.
Now it's time to review your order for one last time before we send it off to Amazon!
1. Review your shipping address. Make sure that it looks correct. If it isn't correct, you want to press the blue text that says 'Change' to change the shipping address details.
2. Review your payment method and make sure the last four digits match what is listed on your credit card or debit card.
3. Under billing address, if it is the same as your shipping address, it'll be listed as the same. If it is different, review the billing address to make sure it is correct.
4. If you have a gift card or promotion code, enter a code and press the 'Apply' button.
5. On the next section, you'll see an Estimated delivery section. This is the date range your package will arrive by. You can select a different delivery option by selecting the white circle next to a different date. Make sure to read the shipping cost listed in gray underneath the delivery date.
6. Review the product that you have selected, the price, and the quantity. Make sure you chose the correct product you wanted!
7. Finally on the right hand side, you will see your Order Summary. It lists the Items, the Shipping & handling, the Free Shipping that would deduct the shipping and handling, the tax to be collected, and the Order total. Make sure it looks correct.
8. Now you are ready to place your order! Select the yellow button that says 'Place your order'. This will send off your order to Amazon and you should receive your package in the date range you chose. You've just made your first Amazon order.
Congratulations on making your first online shopping order! The next time you place an order, it'll be much easier since you will have already made an account and your credit card information may already have been saved. If you have any questions on the ordering process, feel free to press the bird icon on the bottom left and chat with Jane. Type in any issues you may be having and we at ReviewFinch will be happy to help!